It’s a common question asked by a patient to their dentist. They want to know what conditions would cause them to have dentures fitted, and it’s a valid question to ask if they have poor oral health. Dentures are false teeth designed to fit in the mouth and offer a solution to those with missing teeth. Some dentures are permanent where others are temporary to replace a few teeth, but either way, it can help to know when you would need to be fitted with dentures in Birmingham, MI.
At Birmingham Dental, we recommend the following to put off dentures for as long as possible:
- Visit us every six months, at least. If you’re putting off your appointments, you could find your dental health failing and not even realize it. Visiting the dentist can help you to keep gum disease and tooth decay at bay, and both of these are the main culprits for losing teeth.
- If you notice your gums are red or swollen or even bleeding, you need to think about speaking to your dentist. Getting the best dentures in Birmingham, MI means knowing what periodontal disease looks like, and while gum disease is common, you still don’t want to have to deal with it. While it doesn’t instantly mean you need dentures, it does mean that your mouth is in bad condition, and you need to get some help.
- Sometimes, teeth can shift and reposition in your mouth. When this happens, gaps can open between the teeth. In some cases, those teeth can be extracted and replaced with dentures.
- If you’re dealing with a toothache, which is never pleasant, you may deal with it to the point of decay. If this happens, the nerve can be attacked in the center of the tooth and you may find that it leads to other issues. When the decay is extensive, only some of the teeth may be salvageable, and if not, a partial or complete denture needs to be fitted.
There are other reasons that you may need to get dentures, and a discussion with your dentist is essential.
Pros & Cons Of Dentures
There are some pros and cons to having dentures, especially if this isn’t something you ever expected to need.
- Dentures make eating more comfortable
- You can speak more clearly
- Your smile will be improved
- Your facial muscles will be better supported
- It takes time to fit dentures
- There is an adjustment period to consider
- You have to relearn how to eat all over again
Contact Us Today
At Birmingham Dental, we can teach you how to care for your dentures. These are fragile additions to your mouth, and they need a lot of care and careful handling. Getting fitted for dentures in Birmingham, MI may be essential, and you need to get them fitted properly. They may need adjustment over the years, so why not book an appointment today and we can see whether you would be a good fit for new dentures.