Millions of Americans suffer from tooth loss every year. And this is not just the older generations. Poor oral health, genetics, or physical trauma can all cause people to lose teeth at any time in their lives.
Missing teeth can cause people to feel unhappy about their appearance, but it can have adverse physical effects as well. When a tooth is missing for an extended duration, it can place additional strain on the teeth surrounding it, weakening them over time. It can also result in bone loss in the jaw bone.
Until not so long ago, the only options available to those experiencing tooth loss were dentures and bridges, but dental technology has advanced rapidly since. Now dental implants in Birmingham, MI are available.
What are dental implants?
A dental implant is an artificial tooth root that effectively “screws” in place to your jawbone, fusing with the bone. Implants act as a foundation for fixed or removable replacement teeth, called crowns, that are designed to blend in with your natural teeth.
Dental implants are a long term solution for replacing missing teeth, and crowns require no more maintenance than your natural teeth. Once they are in, you don’t even notice they’re there. Compared to other solutions, dental implants have longer-lasting benefits and a more seamless appearance.
The benefits of dental implants
There are countless advantages to dental implants, including:
- Appearance: Dental implants and crowns are designed to mimic natural teeth, and are custom-designed to match the shape and color of the rest of your mouth.
- Confidence: Most patients choose dental implants because they are unhappy with how their smile looks. Transforming your smile can be a huge confidence boost and do wonders for your self-esteem.
- Comfort: Compared to dentures and bridges, dental implants offer an enhanced level of comfort, as they essentially become part of your natural teeth. You won’t need to remove them, and you will come to forget they are even there.
- Function: When you have missing teeth, daily activities such as eating and speaking can be affected. Dental implants function in the same way as natural teeth so you will be able to communicate as usual and eat whatever you like.
- Oral Health: Dental implants reduce strain on the surrounding teeth and jawbone, improving the physical health of your mouth. Overall hygiene is also improved, as the procedure leaves all other teeth intact, allowing you to access the whole of your mouth when brushing and flossing.
To conclude, you may wish to consider getting dental implants in Birmingham when:
- You have missing teeth
- You are unhappy with your smile
- You want to avoid further damage to your mouth
- Your tooth loss impacts your day-to-day life, for example, when speaking and eating
If you are struggling with tooth loss, dental implants may be an appropriate solution for you. Why not find out more by giving us a call at Birmingham Dental Center? At our practice based in Birmingham, Michigan, we offer dental implants amongst a whole range of cosmetic dentistry services. Give us a call and book an initial consultation to discuss your dental needs.